Thursday, September 17, 2009

TALES OF RAYA 1

Photo copyright of Tahirah Manesah Abu Bakar, October 2008

What can I say mak, you can read my mind. There are no thoughts or feelings of mine that you do not think or feel with me. I wonder if I have really made you happy, or are you only smiling for my sake. Have I hurt you, or do you take it all in stride as a mother? Do you bear a silent grudge, or do you carry out your labour of love for the sake of fulfilling a responsibility expected of you?


Mak, remember those Raya open houses we had when Bapak was alive? All the guests who came just to gorge themselves on the smorgasbord of Raya food which you singlehandedly prepared. You were spending your Raya in the kitchen all the time, weren’t you mak. The day before, the day itself. Cooking, cooking, cooking, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, endlessly serving up food and washing dirty plates and glasses so we will always have enough supply for all our greedy visitors who think Raya is all about coming to people’s houses to get free food to pig out on. You were no different from a domestic servant everytime Raya came along, weren’t you mak. Kesian mak.

Today, we won’t have anymore of those open houses ok mak. You can spend Raya however you wish. I will take you anywhere you want to go, or we can just stay home if you don’t feel up to it. Especially this year mak. This Raya is for you.

Mak, saya sujud di kaki mak, saya minta ampun atas segala dosa saya dari sehari umur saya di dalam rahim mak sampai ke hari ini.